We are often asked what sort of kit might be required, especially for Nights Away in scouting, so here's a very generic list - some of which make ideal gifts for birthdays or Christmas of course. Each event will be different but it hopefully gives you an idea of the sorts of things required.
Don't forget we are always pleased to accept donations of items for our "Recycling" stall - uniform and kit.
Scout Shops sell many relevant items, and all the profits go back into scouting.
Cotswold Outdoor offer a scouting discount so it might be worth taking a look when comparing prices.
A few general "Nights Away" reminders too:
- Always let your son / daughter pack their own bag (even if you then sneak and check it all once they are asleep!). They can get very upset when they can't find where Mum or Dad put X in their bag, and at the end of camp they have to pack it all away themselves anyway.
- The Scout Group accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to any personal effect and the Scout Association does not provide automatic insurance for such items.
- Everything needs to be named clearly.
- If your child requires medication whilst on camp please hand it to a leader in a named container giving full details of medication required, with a note giving permission for the adults on camp to administer this medication. If they have been prescribed inhalers and / or EpiPens then they must bring them along, and do check the inhalers are full before hand please.
- Unless otherwise stated Beaver, Cubs and Scouts are NOT permitted to bring anything electronic / solar powered / requiring batteries except for their torch.
- As we have children / adults with various allergies and medical conditions please do not pack any snacks, sweets, cakes or chocolates etc unless otherwise stated. Donations of any such items are always very welcome though, please hand them in to a leader on arrival - for sharing out during the event.
- Due to the adventure of scouting old clothing / footwear is recommended as there is a very good chance they will get wet / muddy / damaged.
- Even before joining us it can be really helpful to new children to have experienced Nights Away that are on their own with non-family members. As our new campers tend to be mostly Beaver Scouts we hope the guide is of use in helping you prepare them to do so.